A new administration is taking shape before our eyes. Dozens of people have already been nominated for national security positions — individuals who, potentially, will shape geopolitics for YEARS to come.
And after four years of fast-paced norm breaking, white nationalism, and outright corruption in the White House, President-elect Biden’s nominees are, in some ways, a return to the pre-Trump status quo. But that status quo won’t come close to advancing the bold vision we are committed to seeing implemented.
Win Without War staff routinely work to get hearing questions in the hands of Members of Congress, raising the profile of progressive foreign policy issues as they hear from prospective Secretaries of State, Defense, and Homeland Security. So tell us: What would you ask Biden’s national security nominees?
Your questions will be used to help us inform our priorities as we work to influence the confirmation processes for individuals filling roles across agencies like State, Defense, and Homeland Security.
Need some help getting started? Here are a few examples of questions we’re thinking of:
- How can you support, not just a re-entry into the Iran deal, but other efforts to engage in diplomacy with Iran?
- What will you do to better address climate change as part of U.S. foreign policy and national security strategy?
- Are you opposed to illegal U.S. efforts to forcibly overthrow foreign governments?
- Do you think sanctions are a tool of war?
- Do you support a complete end to U.S. complicity in the war in Yemen?
- How can you use your authority to protect migrants and refugees, and confront displacement at its roots?